Lauri Evans, 34, was healthy and had no history of heart complications or heart disease in her family. As a mother of four, she is accustomed to managing a busy schedule. In December 2015, Lauri was overseeing the annual holiday party at her children’s school. One of the student’s grandmothers, Betty Chambers, arrived early for pickup and Lauri decided to go outside to invite Betty to the party.
As the two were walking back towards the school, Betty noticed that Lauri’s breathing was irregular. Moments later, Lauri collapsed. An ambulance was called and Betty, who had been trained in CPR, began chest compressions. On the way to College Station Medical Center in College Station, Texas, Lauri coded and was shocked four times. Lauri was in cardiogenic shock.