You might be a candidate if you have severe coronary artery disease and:
- Your cardiologist has told you that angioplasty or stent placement is too risky
- Your cardiologist has told you there’s nothing more he or she can do to address your symptoms
- Your surgeon has told you that you are not a candidate for surgery due to your risk factors
- You have other health concerns that increase the risk of traditional stenting or heart surgery, such as chronic kidney disease
- Your cardiologist consulted a heart team which determined that you are are a candidate for protected stenting with Impella
For other uses of Impella, such as during cardiogenic shock, your doctor will determine whether or not to use the Impella heart pump.